Expanding and aligning solutions to meet global goals
At IHS Markit, we continue to develop multi-faceted information solutions to help industry leaders and non-profit agencies around the globe meet their sustainability challenges while also strengthening our own corporate sustainability efforts. Together with our customers and partners, we are actively supporting the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals, 2030 Agenda - “17 Goals to Transform Our World.”
The UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) are a framework that many different kinds of organizations can use to identify critical needs and develop effective strategies. We are proud of the progress that we are making towards multiple SDGs both inside and outside of IHS Markit. Learn more how IHS Markit is planning to use SDGs as a driver for collaboration with our customers.
Since 2016, IHS Markit expertise and insights have supported SDG 5 - Gender Equality, SDG 10 - Reduced Inequalities, and SDG 16 - Peace, Justice and Strong Institutions in a number of different ways:
- IHS Markit signed the Women’s Empowerment Principles (WEP). WEP offers guidance on empowering women in the workplace, marketplace and community. It was created through collaboration between the UN Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women (UN Women) and the United Nations Global Compact. News release.
- Lance Uggla, President and member of the Board of Directors, signed the CEO diversity pledge on behalf of IHS Markit, committing to make our workplace a trusting places to have complex, and sometimes difficult, conversations about diversity and inclusion and to implement and expand unconscious bias education.
- Pride@IHSMarkit are groups open to all employees that aim to create a culture and a company that is welcoming and inclusive for LGBTQ colleagues. These groups raise awareness through communication and events with active employee Pride groups in the US, UK and India. Their remit, both internal and external, is to engage with partner networks, clients and the communities around us. In 2017, we launched a company-wide LGBTQ Ally program. An ally can be anyone who supports the LGBTQ community.
- IHS Markit is proud to participate in the HeForShe campaign to underline our commitment to gender diversity and equality in the workplace. In our pilot rollout in London, the Women@IHSMarkit network came up with five key actions that every colleague can adopt and implement to make the office more gender equal.
- Dell announced the launch of the Dell Women Entrepreneur Cities Index (WE Cities) - global findings powered by IHS Markit research - the only gender-specific research that examines global cities' ability to attract and support high potential women entrepreneurs.
- IHS Markit issued an official statement on Modern Slavery and Human Trafficking . We uphold the protection of internationally recognized human rights and do not tolerate violations in any part of our organization or supply chain.
- IHS Markit is active with the Women’s Leadership Foundation, among other diversity-related programs and initiatives.
- The National Urban League Equality Index is released. This annual report, the 2016 State of Black America, includes data gathered by IHS Markit. Executive summary.
- The Diversity Volume Leadership Awards, presented by National Association of Minority Automobile Dealers (NAMAD) and IHS Markit - based on IHS Markit registration data for 13+ million US vehicles.
- Profiles in Diversity Journal recognized IHS Markit as a Top 10 winner of their 2017 Annual Innovation in Diversity Awards, for developing innovative customer solutions in the area of workforce diversity and inclusion.
And this is just the beginning. We remain committed to the highest ethical standards as outlined in the IHS Markit Business Code of Conduct and Human Rights Policy. We are also a signatory to the World Economic Forum, Partnership Against Corruption (PACI).
Advancing sustainability across the global community
IHS Markit helps forward-thinking organizations around the world address a broad array of sustainability challenges. Working with industry leaders or non-profit agencies - on both paid engagements and pro bono projects - we provide solutions that harness information, analytics and expertise to achieve Sustainable Development Goals throughout organizations and around the world. Examples of our shared success include:
- Helping Cities Drive Sustainable Growth with Economic Analysis - SDG 8,10, 11
As a Platform Partner with 100 Resilient Cities - Pioneered by the Rockefeller Foundation (100RC), IHS Markit assesses critical economic challenges and recommends potential paths forward for cities around the world. IHS Markit experts provide macroeconomic data and analysis through local workshops that help municipal decision makers and stakeholders understand broad economic trends and identify specific opportunities to support industry growth and job creation, as well as recognize ways to mitigate threats to regional competitiveness and business vitality. See press release.
- Greening the Supply Chain with Ecodesk - SDG 12, 17
IHS Markit participates in the Ecodesk innovator program to accelerate supplier outreach and efficiently capture supply chain analytics on carbon, water and waste. In 2016, IHS Markit surpassed its goal for 70% registration by top suppliers on Ecodesk online, when 95% (143) of those companies registered and one third of that group (33% of the 143) provided visibility into their sustainability data. Armed with reliable environmental metrics, IHS Markit can work with suppliers to reduce their impacts – ultimately supporting responsible consumption and production through strong partnerships.
- Identifying the World’s Most Future Ready Economies - SDG 8
Economics consultants at IHS Markit leveraged the findings from the “2015 Strategic Innovation Summit: Enabling Economies for the Future,” hosted by Harvard University and Dell, to construct a future-ready economies model. The model, which can help cities identify the key enablers of innovations that will allow their economies to adapt and thrive in an ever-changing and globalized future, ranked 50 leading metro economies across three dimensions: Human Capital, Commerce and Infrastructure.
- Making Progress on Universal Human Rights - SDG 10
IHS Markit respects fundamental human rights and views them as a key component of responsible corporate citizenship. In addition to supporting the principles contained in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, IHS Markit is committed to finding practical ways to apply those principles in daily operations, interactions with customers and in our communities. One example, the maritime and trade experts at IHS Markit are helping to raise awareness via its editorial vehicle IHS Fairplay. News coverage includes the announcement of the Missing Mariner Database, operated by Human Rights At Sea (HRAS).
- Mapping a Sustainable Energy Transition for the Philippines - SDG 7
Shell commissioned IHS Markit to consult on complex energy-economy-climate issues faced by the Philippines power sector, the largest gas off-taker of the Malampaya Deep Water Gas-to-Power Project. IHS Markit colleagues from PGCR, Global Insight, and Life Sciences collaborated to develop state-of-the-art analytics that were deployed. The first study of its kind in the Philippines, it demonstrated the combined application of an energy modeling suite, an economic impact assessment (EIA) model and a bespoke health impact assessment (HIA) model. IHS Markit was able to answer critical issues relating to Philippines energy future and devise a plausible roadmap that has been discussed at the highest levels of government.
- Advancing Smart Building and Operational Efficiencies - SDG 11
Honeywell and IHS Markit authored a white paper titled, Put Your Buildings to Work, reporting on how smart buildings can increase the sustainability, safety and energy performance of a building, while reducing operational cost. The Honeywell Smart Building Score is used as a universal and flexible framework to easily assess any building. Arising from this research, the report identifies a clear call to action for property owners, building managers and the AEC industry to improve building standards and their impact on occupants of the workplace.
- Reducing GHG and Stimulating Economic Development in Emerging Economies - SDG 13
IHS Markit experts in technology as well as economics and country risk have supported the United Nations Environment Program (UNEP)’s United for Efficiency (U4E) initiative with analysis and insights as pro bono services. IHS Markit provided detailed market data on motor sales by motor type and by country, which will help countries adopt energy-efficiency measures and standards that will create markets for more efficient appliances. It takes a vital step toward GHG emissions reduction.
- Delivering Value with Informed Geopolitical Risk Decisions - SDG 16
AIG provides insurance coverage to commercial clients ranging from mid-size companies to Fortune 500 companies. Tracking so many risks requires comprehensive geo-political research. AIG saves time and money by relying on IHS Markit to provide underwriters with a wealth of information – for example, geo-political risk scores for every 500m2 sector of the earth’s surface and risk assessments for 6,400+ terrorist targets in 90 countries. AIG analysts use IHS Markit data to provide clients with selection decisions regarding risks as well as offering insights regarding unidentified risks and mitigation alternatives. See case study.
- Maximizing Value to Farmers by Reducing Costs, Mitigating Supply Risks - SDG 2
Monsanto is one of the world’s leading agriculture companies and its global procurement team plays a key role in helping the company provide solutions to farmers around the globe. A few years ago, that team turned to IHS Markit for consistent market intelligence to support planning across many categories of direct and indirect expenditures. Armed with insights into raw material costs, supplier dynamics and market trends, Monsanto saved $680 million in costs while mitigating supply risks for farmers. See case study.
From minimizing environmental impact, protecting workers and preventing potential business disruptions to ensuring product quality, operating efficiently and gaining access to new markets, IHS Markit is working with customers around the globe to help advance the sustainable development goals.Learn More