Canadian General Standards Board (CGSB)
CGSB standards address a range of industry operations, covering over 100 different subject areas.
The Canadian General Standards Board (CGSB) publishes standards used throughout the country by Canadian companies, the government and firms exporting to Canada. They are recognized in many different industries worldwide. These documents are provided in support of economic, regulatory, procurement, health, safety and environmental interests and are widely used for procurement purposes by the Canadian government.
CGSB standards development services are used to:
- Facilitate the purchase of goods and services
- Harmonize diverse standards
- Provide a sound quality base for products and services
- Support the CGSB and other conformity assessment programs
- Help Canadians compete internationally
- Support stakeholders' economic, regulatory, health, safety and environmental interests
CGSB maintains over 900 standards, which are developed and maintained by committees of volunteers who are experts in their fields working according to the CGSB process. These standards cover a wide range of products and services, including:
- Building and construction
- Business (office) equipment and supplies
- Communications and information technology
- Paper & paper products
- Transportation of dangerous goods