Safety Integrity Level (SIL)
A Safety Integrity Level (SIL) is a statistical representation of the reliability of a Safety Instrumented System (SIS) when a process demand occurs. Safety instrumented systems are used to provide safe control functions for processes, e.g. emergency shutdown (ESD), fire detection and blowdown functions.
IHS risk analysis software, content and expertise help to remove the barriers to achieving continuous improvement and helps you execute a unified risk management strategy in process industries. We will help you develop a robust knowledge base, allowing for mitigations and controls that are both effective and preventative. Where there is uncertainty, risk assessments can be defined and linked, like SIL and LOPA, allowing full traceability from assessments to mitigation strategies and monitoring of controls. Essential steps in the risk lifecycle are unified on a single, global system with a closed-loop, continuous improvement process, ensuring adequate communication of data and lessons learned across departments, facilities and sites. IHS turns your SIL into a dynamic, predictive tool to ensure the safety of your controls.
- Creates knowledge-driven SILs that leverage consistent corporate terminology and lessons learned and link risk assessment studies
- Pre-formatted industry standard templates for SIL as well as Hazards and Operability (HAZOP); What If / Checklist; Preliminary Hazard Analysis (PrHA); Layer of Protection Analysis (LOPA); and Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP)
- Helps you complete vulnerability analyses end-to-end, resulting in a more responsive and efficient business process
- Advanced reporting and auditing tools provide improved visibility into process operations
- Links risk assessments with other business processes to ensure the capture of the critical knowledge that drives EHS&S initiatives, sustainable development planning, and full compliance with governing regulations and standards
- Ensures that historical knowledge is accessible and best practices and lessons learned are shared from one study to the next
IHS EHS&S Professional Services offer a proven track record of helping our clients successfully mitigate risks so they can achieve their business goals. IHS facilitates your SIL study in a three-step manner. We will first review the respective process safety information along with the scope and objectives of the project. This is followed by a series of onsite meetings where the facilitator guides the team to identify the hazards associated and assists them in analyzing these scenarios further. After the meetings, the facilitator provides a report that includes all the findings and recommendations of this study.
Our SIL training can help you become a leader in your organization and conduct better SIL studies. Check out our Training Services for course description and upcoming dates.
With IHS software, content and expertise, you can make EHS&S operational risk assessments part of a unified strategy for Enterprise Sustainability Management, supported by a single world-class provider. Contact us to learn more.