Layer of Protection Analysis (LOPA)
Layer of Protection Analysis (LOPA) is a semi-quantitative risk analysis technique. It is more rigorous than a HAZOP but less time-intensive than a quantitative risk assessment (QRA). LOPA evaluates risks by orders of magnitude of selected accident scenarios and builds on information developed in qualitative hazard evaluation.
IHS risk assessment software, content and expertise remove the barriers to achieving continuous improvement so you can execute a unified risk management strategy. We will help you develop a robust knowledge base, allowing for mitigations and controls that are both effective and preventative. Where there is uncertainty, risk assessments can be defined and linked, like SIL and LOPA, allowing full traceability from assessments to mitigation strategies and monitoring of controls. Essential steps in the risk lifecycle are unified on a single, global system with a closed-loop, continuous improvement process, ensuring adequate communication of data and lessons learned across departments, facilities and sites. IHS turns your LOPA into a dynamic predictive tool to evaluate your most critical safety systems and prioritize safeguards.
- Creates knowledge-driven LOPAs that leverage consistent corporate terminology and lessons learned and link risk assessment studies
- Pre-formatted industry standard templates for LOPA as well as Hazards and Operability (HAZOP); What If / Checklist; Preliminary Hazard Analysis (PrHA); Safety Integrity Level (SIL) Assessment; and Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP)
- Helps you complete vulnerability analyses end-to-end, resulting in a more responsive and efficient business process
- Advanced reporting and auditing tools provide improved visibility into process operations
- Links risk assessments with other business processes to ensure the capture of the critical knowledge that drives EHS&S initiatives, sustainable development planning, and full compliance with governing regulations and standards
- Ensures that historical knowledge is accessible and best practices and lessons learned are shared from one study to the next
IHS EHS&S Professional Services offer a proven track record of helping our clients successfully mitigate risks so they can achieve their business goals. IHS facilitates your LOPA study in a three-step manner. We will first review the respective process safety information along with the scope and objectives of the project. This is followed by a series of onsite meetings where the facilitator guides the team to identify the hazards associated and assists them in analyzing these scenarios further. After the meetings, the facilitator provides a report that includes all the findings and recommendations of this study.
Our LOPA training can help you become a leader in your organization and conduct better risk assessments. Check out our Training Services for course description and upcoming dates.
With IHS software, content and expertise, you can make EHS&S operational risk assessments part of a unified strategy for Enterprise Sustainability Management, supported by a single world-class provider. Contact us to learn more.