Published: July 1993
This report is a supplement to PEP Report 159A on specialty plastic films. The previousreport covered the technologies and economics for the production of agricultural films,microporous films, fluoropolymer films, polycarbonate film, and polyimide film. The presentreport covers the following specialty films:
- Polyester (PET) film for magnetic media
- Polyethylene 2,6-naphthalate (PEN)
- Metallized polyester (M-PET), and metallized and oriented polypropylene (M-OPP)films by-
- The resistance-heated boat method-
- The electron beam heating method
- Biaxially oriented monolayer and coextruded nylon (BON) films by-
- The double-bubble blowing process-
- The chill-roll casting process
- Polyetherimide (PEI) Polyetheretherketone (PEEK)
- Polyarylate (PAR) Liquid crystal polymer (LCP)
- Polyethersulfone (PES) Polyphenylene sulfide (PPS).
Besides the technical and economic aspects, the report also discusses the market statusand future prospects for these films. It consolidates the market data, technology data, andproduction cost estimates into one convenient-to-use volume. For those who are in marketresearch, polymer development, application, or manufacture of advanced plastic films, thereport will serve as a very valuable information source.