Published: May 1979
PEP Report No. 79, issued in 1972, presented designs and cost estimates using the information then available in print on processes for production of the three dihydroxybenzene isomers: pyrocatechol (the ortho-isomer), resorcinol (meta), and hydroquinone (para).
Since that time, further technical data have been published on a number of processes for hydroquinone manufacture. The present report gives process design and economic information on five of these newer processes. The processes are:
- Hydroquinone via p-Diisopropylbenzene--Dihydroperoxide Separation by Extraction.
- Hydroquinone via p-Diisopropylbenzene--Dihydroperoxide Separation by Crystallization.
- Hydroquinone from Phenol by Hydroxylation.
- Hydroquinone from Phenol via Bisphenol A.
- Hydroquinone from Phenol and Oxygen.