Published: April 1984
Catalysts are essential to about 90% of modern chemical and petroleum refining processes. Annual catalyst sales in the United States exceed $1 billion. Major consumers, in order of volume and value are:
- Petroleum refining
- Chemical processing
- Emissions control.
A wide variety of substances can be used as catalysts. This report summarizes the major catalytic processes and typical catalysts used for them. It lists the major U.S. catalyst manufacturers and their products. Detailed discussions and descriptions are included for:
- Zeolite catalysts--Includes process description and economic evaluation of a plant to make 50,000 short tons/yr of a Zeolite cracking catalyst.
- Platinum group metals catalysts--Data on production, consumption, and applications of platinum group metal catalysts.
- Olefin polymerieation catalysts --Information on manufacture and applications of Phillips and Ziegler-Natta catalysts for polymerization of ethylene and propylene.
- Ammoxidation catalysts--Process description and economic evaluation of a process for 2 million lb/yr of a bismuth molybdate type catalyst for acrylonitrile production.
- Recovery of metals from catalysts --Descriptions of processes for recovery of platinum group metals from industrial and automotive emissions control catalysts and recovery of molybdenum, vanadium, and other metals from petroleum hydroprocessing catalysts.