Coal Rush: The Future of China's Coal Markets
This study provides a truly comprehensive look at China’s Coal Markets and evaluates its impact on global coal markets.
In response to the country’s importance to world energy markets, IHS CERA is undertaking a groundbreaking Multiclient Study, Coal Rush: The Future of China’s Coal Markets—which will be the most extensive research on this market available, providing detailed data and analysis on coal supply, demand, and logistics.
This study focuses mainly on steam coal and covers metallurgical coal where appropriate. Our scenario-based approach offers a clear view of plausible futures for all aspects of the highly complex coal market structure in China, including coal resources, production trends, cost of production, and coal quality at the national, regional, and field levels. We also address critical issues such as transportation bottlenecks and logistics cost, regulatory processes, and demand by key sectors. Technological developments, such as coal by wire, and other advances are also evaluated in the context of three potential scenarios for the coal market, each with an outlook to 2035.
The analysis will be fully integrated with the IHS CERA existing coverage of the oil, gas, and power markets and leverage the expertise and capabilities from the wider IHS organization, including but not limited to, McCloskey, IHS Chemical, IHS Global Insight, and IHS geological databases.
Who uses the service? How? International Coal Suppliers Coal Rush will conduct a comprehensive analysis of all aspects of the coal picture in China – supply, demand, coal quality, as well as transportation and regulatory issues. Electric Power Companies Coal Rush’s 30 year outlook for supply and demand will give a clear view to the impact on global coal prices. Our look at coal reserves and coal quality coming out of China will enable clients to more effectively evaluate coal buys by producer. Petrochemical Producers By looking at key drivers of demand by sector we will be able to accurately analyze key trends in chemicals production. And examining technological and regulatory developments we will also be able to judge their impact on the chemicals sector and fuel use. Shipping Companies A clear look at China’s coal demand outlook will help shippers to determine the rate of increase for coal shipments globally – especially where China is driving coal demand (a 3% change in China’s demand picture represents a 14% share of the global steam coal market shipments) Financial Institutions (Investors) To understand investment opportunities
Key Questions to be Addressed:
- The Chinese government has a policy of economic re-structuring – this will move the economy away from heavy industry. What is the implication for coal supply and demand?
- How will the Chinese energy mix evolve given the increasing affordability on energy price and pressure on environment and sustainable development and what are the implications for domestic demand?
- Are the key issues in the Chinese coal sector fundamentally economics driven, or are they the result of regulatory, policy, pricing, infrastructure, or other distortions that are less predictable?
- Transport restrictions seem endemic and continuous. Is there something systemic in the planning and implementation of infrastructure in China that means it is likely to remain a challenge to coal supply and imports over the long-term?
- Current and the coming driving forces and restrictions of steam coal imports are obscuring future import trends. How large is the import potential? Who will be the likely competitive importers into China? What types/quality of coal will be in high demand? And what price levels can be expected?
Steam coal coverage by type:
- Coking coal (as it affects the steam coal market)
Coal Rush: The Future of China’s Coal Market is a must-have for any company whose value chain is directly or indirectly impacted by the Chinese coal industry. The deep and extensive expertise at IHS provides unparalleled capabilities to help clients understand the rapidly changing dynamics of this key industry in an important part of the world.
For more information,
+1 800 447-2273
Europe, Middle East & Africa
+44 (0) 1344 328 300
+44 (0) 1344 328 300