ASHRAE Funds Operating Room Air Distribution Research
April 10, 2007 // Published as a news service by IHS
The goal of the research is to enhance design guidelines for hospital operating rooms.
ASHRAE released nine projects for bid, including ASHRAE 1397-TRP - Experimental Investigation of Hospital Operating Room (OR) Air Distribution.
The research is expected to verify earlier analysis that a protective thermal plume maintained above the surgical site will reduce the deposition of infectious particles, according to Robert Cox, a member of the ASHRAE technical committee, 9.6, on health care facilities - the sponsor of the project.
"These results will have significant impact on practical operating room design guidelines, allowing designers to better place air distribution in the operating room to maximize the [heating, ventilation and air conditioning] system's impact on preventing spread of infection and to perhaps reduce overall airflow rates in the operating room," Cox said.
According to ASHRAE, the results may be used to improve air distribution engineering elsewhere in healthcare, including:
- Patient protection rooms
- Infection isolation rooms
- Industrial clean rooms.
Other ASHRAE projects open for bid include:
- ASHRAE 1287-TRP - Particle Counter Specification for Use with Filter Performance Test Standard ANSI/ASHRAE 52.2, sponsored by technical committee (TC) 2.4, Particulate Air Contaminants and Particulate Containment Removal Equipment.
- ASHRAE 1361-TRP - Biological Control in Cooling Towers Using Non-Chemical Water Treatment Devices, TC 3.6, Water Treatment.
- ASHRAE 1376-TRP - Method of Test to Evaluate Field Performance of Commercial Kitchen Ventilation Systems, TC 5.10, Kitchen Ventilation.
- ASHRAE 1388-TRP - Reevaluation of High-Altitude Effects on Operation of Gas-Fired Boilers and Water Heaters, TC 6.10, Fuels and Combustion.
- ASHRAE 1394-TRP - Study of Carbon Dioxide Condensation in a Chevron Angle Plate Geometry Exchanger, 8.5, Liquid-to-Refrigerant Heat Exchangers.
- ASHRAE 1402-TRP - Comparison of Vertical Display Cases, TC 10.7, Commercial Food and Beverage Cooling Display and Storage.
- ASHRAE 1431-TRP - Analysis of Transient Characteristics, Effectiveness and Optimization of Cleanroom Airlocks, TC 9.11, Clean Spaces.
- ASHRAE 1457-RFP - By-product Production from Photocatalytic Oxidation Associated with Indoor Air Cleaning Devices, TC 2.3, Gaseous Air Contaminants and Gas Containment Removal Equipment.
More information about how to submit a project bid is available on the ASHRAE web site at http://www.ashrae.org/research.